Prevention of Dog Bite Injuries
To prevent dog bites, take a few basic safety precautions around dogs and review them regularly:
- Do not approach an unfamiliar dog.
- Before petting someone else’s dog, ask the owner for permission.
- Do not try to pull a toy, a stick, or any item from a dog’s mouth.
- Do not disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
- Do not pet a dog without allowing it to see and sniff you first.
- Do not run from a dog and scream.
- Remain motionless (e.g., “be still like a tree”) when approached by an unfamiliar dog and avoid eye contact with the dog.
- If knocked over by a dog, roll into a ball and lie still with hands over your ears.
- If a dog attacks you, “feed” him your jacket, purse, or anything that you can put
- between yourself and the dog.
Teach your children how to be safe around dogs:
- Do not play with a dog unless supervised by an adult.
- Immediately report stray dogs or dogs displaying unusual behavior to an adult.
- If bitten by a dog, immediately report the bite to an adult.
- Do not approach a dog that is injured. Instead, tell an adult about it
If you or a loved one has been attacked or injured by a dog or another animal, contact the Chicago dog bite attorneys online or call us at 773-516-4100 to set up a FREE personal injury consultation to discuss your legal options.