Chicago Bicycle Accidents Attorneys
Chicago bicycle injury lawyers Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. represent clients who have sustained personal injuries or have lost a loved one in a bicycle accident caused by recklessness or negligence of another person. Our Chicago accident attorneys have helped numerous clients to receive fair compensation for personal injuries sustained as a result of being hit by a motorist while bicycling. If you or a loved one were the victim of a bicycle accident occurring in Chicago, an Illinois bike injury attorney can explain your legal rights.
Chicago is especially dangerous place to ride a bicycle. Even bicycle riders in Chicago who use the bike lanes are frequently injured by careless motorists who fail to keep a proper lookout out for bicyclists. Every year numerous serious injuries and fatalities related to bicycle accidents occur throughout Chicago and Illinois, and all over the United States as well. If you have suffered serious bicycle accident related injuries, or a loved one has died as a result of a vehicle related bicycle accident, the team of injury attorneys at Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. can help you during this stressful period.
Injuries suffered from a bicycle accident can be severe and life threatening. Injuries may include severed limbs, broken vertebrae, or a fractured skull, in addition to broken collarbones and elbow joint damage, just to name a few. In the event of an injury, our team of Chicago injury attorneys understand that your initial concerns may be reimbursement for any out of pocket costs incurred, as well initiation of treatment and physical therapy as soon as possible. In some instances, a longer course of treatment is required and as such, our bicycle accident lawyers can work with insurance companies and healthcare providers to get you the medical attention that you deserve. Whether you reside in Cook County, Madison County, or a surrounding area in Illinois, our accident attorneys will thoroughly investigate the details of the incident and work on your behalf with medical providers and insurance companies to ensure your financial and legal matters are resolved in the appropriate manner.
Though bicyclists are becoming more common on the streets of Chicago, bicyclists still need to be extra cautious for potential motorists that fail to operate their vehicles in careful and reasonable manner. This duty requires maintaining a proper lookout for not only other vehicles, but pedestrians and bicyclists as well. The Chicago bike accident attorneys of Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. handle many bicycle vs. car accident. Common scenarios include:
- A car pulls out of side street or alley and fails to see the bicyclist who is traveling on the left side of the main street because the bicyclist is blocked from the motorist’s vision by parked cars.
- The motorist in a parked car opens his car door without looking into the path of a bicyclist.
- The motorist makes a right turn and fails to see the bicyclist riding on the motorist’s right side and, as a result, turns into the bicyclist or cuts the bicyclist off.
- A motorist making a left turn waits for motorist traffic to clear coming from the opposite direction and does not see the bicyclist traveling from the opposite direction and turns into the bicyclist or cuts the bicyclist off.
- A bicyclist, riding with the flow of traffic far to the right, steers to the left to navigate around a parked car and is rear-ended by a motorist in the car lane.
Bicyclists should be aware of safety measures that can aide in preventing these types of accidents such as increasing visibility by wearing brightly colored clothing, and utilizing a front and rear light on the bike. For more information of Bicycle safety, download our free Bicycle Safety Brochure.
Chicago bike ordinances attempt to address these bicycle safety problems. Pursuant to § 9-16-020 (e) and (f) of Municipal Code of Chicago, the driver of a vehicle intending to turn at an intersection shall do so as follows:
(e) Right-of-way to a bicycle on left turn. The driver of a vehicle within an intersection intending to turn to the left shall yield the right-of-way to a bicycle approaching from the opposite direction which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard.
(f) Turning right in front of a bicycle. When a motor vehicle and a bicycle are traveling in the same direction on any highway, street, or road, the operator of the motor vehicle overtaking such bicycle traveling on the right side of the roadway shall not turn to the right in front of the bicycle at that intersection or at any alley or driveway until such vehicle has overtaken and is safely clear of the bicycle.
Additional regulations related to bicyclists are enumerated in Illinois Compiled Statutes, such as 625 ILCS 5/11-703(d), which provides:
(d) The operator of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicycle or individual proceeding in the same direction on a highway shall leave a safe distance, but not less than 3 feet, when passing the bicycle or individual and shall maintain that distance until safely past the overtaken bicycle or individual.
There are a plethora of accident attorneys in Chicago. However, if you or a loved one were injured in an accident while bicycling, it is essential to seek consultation from an accident attorney specialized in both personal injury and bicycle accidents.
If you or someone close to you has been injured in a bicycle accident or you are survivor of a cyclist who has died in a road accident, contact the bike injury attorneys by visiting our web site or call us at 773-516-4100 to make an appointment for a FREE consult to discuss your legal options.
- What to Do After a Bicycle Crash
- Selecting a Bicycle Accident Attorney
- Facial Fractures in Bicycling Accidents
- Reducing the Risk of Head Injuries during Bicycle Accidents through Helmet Use
- Hit and Run Bicycle Accidents
- Bike Path Accidents
- Bike Messenger Injury Accidents
- Distracted Biking
- Motorist Action Versus Bicyclist Action in Bike Accidents
- Legal Remedies in Fatal Bicycle Accidents
- Chicago Bicycle Injuries- The Dangers of “Dooring”
- Safe Bicycling for Kids: What Every Parent Should Know
- Assessing Age Appropriateness for Unaccompanied Child Bicyclists
- Bicycle Accident Injuries
- Designated Bicycle Lanes—Changes to Infrastructure in Chicago Expected to Improve Safety for Bicyclists Says Injury Attorney
- The Profound Impact of Bike Infrastructure: More Than Just a Safety Measure
- Bike Infrastructure to Create Economic Development throughout the city says Chicago Bicycle Accident Attorney
- Environmental Benefits of Bicycling