and Immigration Attorneys
Slip and Fall Accidents
The Chicago injury lawyers of Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. have obtained excellent money recoveries for persons who have been injured from slipping and falling or tripping and falling due to an unreasonably dangerous condition on property. Slip and Fall Accidents are a specific area within premise liability. As such, it is imperative that your personal injury attorney be experienced in both premise liability, but also in the particular area of slip and fall accidents. The Chicago slip and fall accident lawyers of Zneimer & Zneimer are experienced in the area of both premise liability and slip and fall accident liability.
Slip and fall and trip and fall accidents can occur in a variety of places. A common misconception regarding such accidents is that the injury typically occurs outside the home. However, this is not true in situations where the home in which you reside is rented, and the landlord fails to maintain the premises in a reasonable manner. Individuals injured in slip and fall accidents are typically categorized into one of three categories, including licensees, invitees, and trespassers. Recent revisions to Illinois law abolished a distinction between licensees and invitees, although trespassers are still categorized separately. For example, as set forth in Ward v. K Mart, 136 Ill. 2d 132 (1990):
A possessor of land is subject to liability for physical harm caused to his invitees by a condition on the land if, but only if, he:
- knows or by the exercise of reasonable care would discover the condition, and should realize that it involves an unreasonable risk of harm to such invitees; and
- should expect that they will not discover or realize the danger, or will fail to protect themselves against it; and
- fails to exercise reasonable care to protect them against the danger.
If you or a loved one were injured in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident occurring in Chicago, a licensed Illinois premise injury attorney can discuss the land entrant category applicable to your incident.
Two of the most common slip and fall or trip and fall accidents involve the presence of a transient substance on a floor, and unmaintained entrance or exit pathways. The factual circumstances involved in each of these types of accidents can vary greatly from case to case, and therefore it is important to have an experienced slip and fall attorney review your matter. For example with regard to a premise owner’s duty, there are distinctions between natural and unnatural accumulations of ice and snow. An Illinois personal injury attorney can explain how such duties may affect liability.
As pointed out by the CDC in its publication entitled CDC Injury Fact Book, “many Americans do not understand the magnitude of the injury problem in this country.” Another significant concern regarding slip and fall injuries, are those related to older adults. Some examples of the reporting data regarding falls amongst older adults contained within the CDC’s publication include:
- More than one third of adults 65 years or older fall every year
- Among seniors, falls are the ninth leading cause of death and the leading cause of fatal and nonfatal injuries
- Falls are the most common cause of nonfatal injuries and of hospital admissions for trauma
- Most fractures are caused by falls, and the most serious type is hip fracture. Up to 20% of hip fracture patients die within a year, and those who survive often experience significant disability and reduced quality of life
- In 1994, fall injuries totaled $27.3 billion. By 2020, the cost of these injuries is projected to reach $43.8 billion (figures adjusted for inflation)
Injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents may be severe. Such injuries can include head injuries, broken or fractured bones, torn meniscus or other injuries to the knee, broken teeth, abrasions, contusions, puncture wounds, as well as internal injury. The range of injuries that may occur during a slip and fall accident vary widely. Our slip and fall attorneys have the experience and knowledge to assess your matter and determine the appropriate course of action to pursue.
The Chicago injury firm of Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. represents injured plaintiffs throughout Illinois, including the greater Chicago area as well as Will County, DuPage County, Kane County, Lake County, McHenry County, and Cook County and all other counties in the state.
If it is your belief that you or a loved one has sustained an injury due to a slip and fall or trip and fall accident, we urge you to contact Chicago injury lawyers Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. Call us at 773-516-4100 or contact us online for a FREE personal injury consultation.