Orland Park Bike Accident Lawyer
The Bike Crash Attorneys of Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. represent victims that were injured in an accident while bicycling in Orland Park, or a surrounding area in Cook or Will counties. Located 25 miles southwest of Chicago, Orland Park has been noted for its 2006 Money Magazine title award of the “45th Best Place to Live in America.” With more than 60 parks in the village, biking in Orland Park continues to be a popular recreational activity. And with over 50 miles of existing bike paths, including dedicated on-street, off-street, and connecting sidewalk paths, many residents are turning to bicycles as a primary mode a transportation.
As stated on the Village Website, “although cars dominate the roadways in Orland Park, the Village has been encouraging increased bike use through new off street paths and designated on street bike routes.” Plans to improve safety by increasing infrastructure include adding another 20 miles of bike paths, which when completed would give the residents of Orland Park a total of approximately 70 miles of bike paths. As part of development efforts in Orland Park, the Village Board approved a Comprehensive Plan in 2013.
In addition to Orland Park’s hope to reduce pedestrian and bicycling-related accidents, injuries, and fatalities, village planning has also placed a tremendous emphasis on connecting nearby communities, promoting environmentally-friendly alternative transportation modes, and improving the overall quality of life for its residents. As provided in the plan, Mobility & Access principles include:
- Promote a dynamic and interconnected transportation network.
- Reduce traffic congestion.
- Support safe and accessible transportation options for all users.
- Provide for and encourage non-motorized transportation.
- Recommend land uses that can support public transit oriented development.
- Leverage public and private investment in a way that strengthens the Village
Enhancing Mobility & Access in Orland Park centers around four key goals: (1) Accommodate; (2) Integrate; (3) Mitigate Congestion; and (4) Safety. Within each of these goals, the plan sets forth specific objectives, as well as proposed actions to be taken. With regard to bicycling, a notable plan objective is that “Orland Park residents will be able to reach any destination within the Village via a connected bikeway system.” In attaining this, actions include:
- Complete and implement the Orland Park’s Recommended Bikeways Plan, which emphasizes biking as a transportation alternative, and will address at a minimum:
- Aesthetics and functionality of all types of bikeways appropriate for Orland Park
- Connections to regional trail systems
- Expanded recreational bikeway opportunities
- Identification and recommendations for key bicycle crossings
- Pursue grant opportunities and leverage the capital improvements program to implement Bikeway Plan.
- Cooperate with local organizations and businesses to conduct bicycle promotion events such as Bike to Work.
- Research the viability of a bicycle rental program.
- Review bicycle access and required infrastructure, like paths and bike racks, as part of every development project.
- Support efforts by PACE and Metra to accommodate bicycles for multi-modal transportation opportunities.
- Support agencies that promote bicycling as an alternative mode of transportation.
- Partner with local businesses, such as sporting good stores and bike shops, to create and implement bicycle recycling, walking and bicycling to school incentive programs.
As Bicycling Accident Attorneys, we support the Village of Orland Park in their efforts to improve the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians. However, it is important to keep in mind that no amount of infrastructure can completely eliminate the dangers faced by vulnerable road users. Injury and Fatality prevention requires that all road users do their part in sharing our roadways in a safe and responsible manner.
If you or a loved one were the victim of a bike crash that occurred in Orlando Park, or another area in Cook or Will County, the attorneys of Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. want to help you obtain the compensation that you and your family deserve. We offer FREE personal injury consultation in all personal injury matters. You may contact us online, or by calling 773-516-4100.