and Immigration Attorneys
Mount Prospect Dog Bite Attack Attorneys
The Village of Mount Prospect is a northwestern Chicago suburb, with an approximate population of 54,000. As stated by the Mount Prospect Historical Society, “Mount Prospect today is an independent village which can rival the comforts of any small town.” Given one of the Village’s mottos, “Celebrating Hometown Memories for 46 years,” and the Village’s recognition for its numerous distinct and award winning school districts, it is no surprise that Mount Prospect is viewed as a wonderful community for which to raise children. For many of Mount Prospect’s residents, ownership of a domestic animal, such as a dog, can be an important addition to the family unit. With the presence of dogs, also comes the risk, for both the residents of Mount Prospect, as well as other animals within the Village, of a dog attack. Although the Village of Mount Prospect, like many other Chicago suburbs, has a number of ordinances pertaining to responsible ownership and control of domestic dogs, many will still fall victim to a vicious dog attack as a result of another’s negligence.
In the interest of maintaining the peace and safety for the residents of Mount Prospect, the Village has passed local ordinances regulating domestic animals. Such ordinances regulate matters concerning responsible ownership such as license, vaccination, leashing, excrement removal, etc. However, local ordinance also provides regulation pertaining to dangerous and vicious animals, as well as reporting and procedural requirements following a dog bite, or attack. The Mount Prospect Dog Bite Attorneys offer the following list of some of Mount Prospect’s Municipal Code or Ordinances concerning ANIMALS:
- Mount Prospect Municipal Code of Ordinances, section 20.105, Dangerous Animals, prohibits the ownership, keeping, or harboring of an animal deemed to be dangerous, such as:
- 20.105(6): Animals which, when full grown, normally attains a weight in excess of two hundred (200) pounds.
- 20.105(8): Any vicious animal, the owner or keeper of which, has been found guilty of violating section 20.207 of this chapter with respect to that animal.
- Mount Prospect Municipal Code of Ordinances, section 20.207, as referenced in the preceding bullet concerning vicious animals, provides for the mandatory restraint of such vicious animals, as follows in part:
- It shall be unlawful for any person to have custody of, own, possess or maintain a vicious animal, as defined in section 20.402 of this chapter, unless it is restrained, securely confined on the premises of its keeper or owner, or muzzled so that it cannot bite, attack or cause injury to any person or other domestic animal. In addition to any other available penalties, failure to comply with the requirements of this section may result in impoundment, as set forth in subsection B of this section. [Full citation omitted]
- Mount Prospect Municipal Code of Ordinances, section 20.402 provides definitions of terms referenced within the ordinances, such as:
- VICIOUS ANIMALS: Any animal which is known to have attacked a person on a previous occasion without provocation whenever that person was peacefully conducting himself or herself where he or she was lawfully entitled to be.
- BITE: Seizure with the teeth or jaws of an animal so that the skin of a human being or animal seized has been pierced or broken and further includes contact of the saliva of the biting animal with any break or abrasion of the skin of the human being or animal bitten.
- SCRATCH: Any scraping with the claw or nail of any animal so that the skin of a human being or animal being touched has been pierced or broken.
The devastation that can occur as a result of a dog bite or dog attack requires knowing, both, your legal options, and rights. If you have sustained an injury as a result of a dog bite or dog attack, an Illinois licensed Dog Bite Personal Injury Attorney can evaluate your matter to determine whether you may be entitled to compensation for your injury. If a loved one was killed as a result of a dog attack or dog bite, an Illinois licensed Dog Bite Wrongful Death Attorney can are entitled to recovery for your loss, for pecuniary injuries, resulting from such death, including damages for grief, sorrow, and mental suffering. In either scenario, it is important to seek consultation with a lawyer experienced in handling claims involving dog bites and attacks.
The Mount Prospect Dog Bite Attorneys of Zneimer & Zneimer, P.C. have represented numerous clients who have suffered injury or loss as a result of the negligence of another. We will assess your matter, during a free personal injury consultation, as well as discuss your legal rights and options. Contact us today, at 773-516-4100, or online, or online, at our website .