Maintaining Permanent Residence

Chicago Immigration Attorneys - Green Card Lawyers

Our Chicago immigration lawyers can help you understand the requirements to maintain your permanent residence and the steps you must undertake to preserve your green card.

Once an alien becomes a permanent resident, he or she can remain indefinitely in the U.S. and can travel in and out of the U.S. He or she may also petition for his spouse and dependents, subject to the quotas. Although a permanent resident, the alien remains an alien until he or she becomes a U.S. citizen. A permanent resident can be removed under certain circumstances. In addition, in order to keep his or her permanent residence, the permanent resident must keep ties in the U.S., pay U.S. taxes and not be absent from the U.S. for long period of times. If a permanent resident has a good reason to be absent form the U.S., he or she has to seek permission from the USCIS before leaving.

If you have any questions regarding your ability to keep your permanent residence or if you need to seek permission from the USCIS, call the Chicago immigration attorneys of Zneimer & Zneimer P.C. at 773-516-4100 or contact us online for a consultation to discuss your immigration issues or questions.

Contact Us Free Personal Injury Consultation
Contact Form