Google Reviews
Illinois State Bar Association
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
American Association for Justice
Avvo Rating Top Attorney Immigration
The National Trial Lawyers
American Immigration Lawyers Association

Business Nonimmigrant Work Visas

Chicago Immigration Attorneys Chicago Immigration Work Visa Lawyer - H-1B Visas, L-1 Visas, E Treaty Visas

A nonimmigrant is a foreign national who is coming to the U.S. for a temporary visit. A nonimmigrant can engage only in permitted activities, which depend on the noncitizen's nonimmigrant classification. There are approximately thirty types of nonimmigrant classifications. To obtain some classifications (H-1B, H-2B, etc.) the noncitizen must be a beneficiary of a petition filed by an employer. The visa stamp itself can be obtained through a U.S. consulate abroad. The visa stamp only allows an noncitizen to travel to the U.S. and apply for admission at the border. The CBP at the border will make an independent decision whether to admit the noncitizen, in what status, and for what period of authorized stay. The authorized period of stay is indicated on form I-94, which should be kept stapled in the noncitizen's passport.

Once an noncitizen is admitted to the U.S., he or she must maintain the appropriate status consistent with the conditions of the noncitizen's admission. If the noncitizen needs to stay longer or wishes to engage in activity inconsistent with the initial admission (for example, employment), he or she may apply to the USCIS for extension of stay or a change of status even if the visa stamp in the passport has expired. Only the formal approval of the change of status application by USCIS constitutes authorization to engage in the new activities approved by the new status. Under certain conditions, an noncitizen who is already in H-1B status may commence working for a new employer upon the filing of a new petition by that new employer. With few exceptions, a foreign national who, prior to approval of a change of status, engages in the new activities can be found to be in violation of status in the event the application is denied, although sometimes the USCIS may grant approval retroactively. In general, the mere filing of an application for a different status usually does not constitute permission to engage in the new activities.

There is a significant amount of information concerning what are permitted activities for a particular status. We can help you understand what are the limitations of your status and can help you change to a more appropriate status consistent and your personal or business needs.

Call us at 773-516-4100 or contact us online for a consultation to discuss your immigration issues or questions.

Client Reviews
Someone rear-ended my car last spring and I was injured. Peter and Sofia Zneimer and they staff were professional and were always available by phone. I knew that the insurance of the other driver wasn't very good but they were still able to settle my case promptly and I was satisfied with the money I received. Overall, a very good trusted experience. Natig M.
I highly recommend the services of Zneimer and Zneimer. I often seek legal advice from them related to my immigration status and way forward. Both Sofia and Peter are very detailed and quick in answering any question. I laud their professionalism and a very efficient team that works for them. Suman S.
I totally recommend Sofia, she is the best lawyer in Chicago area. She is very professional, very detailed with her work and supportive. She always goes above and beyond to ensure the best outcome. Caring, compassionate and only the best for your family. I won my case because of her professionalism and her knowledge of the law. Aurel P.
I have dealt with Sofia Zneimer since 2009. She is a great lawyer and has helped me tremendously in navigating the process of green card. She is a great resource to have by your side. She is easy to reach. She responds very quickly, which was very important for me. If she can’t answer the question the same day, she does let you know that she is working on it. I would have no hesitation in recruiting her. Hemant S.
I called Zneimer & Zneimer after I was rear-ended on the highway. Peter and Sofia Zneimer have been very helpful in dealing with the insurance company and getting money for my car damage. They are also handling my injury case. They answer all my questions and I am always able to reach them on the phone anytime I want to talk to them. I am confident in having them represent me. The best choice i ever made. Thank you! Emil G.